As it is clear by the name, sustainable building strategies adopted by the builders are those that have no or lesser negative effects on the environment. The builders perform thorough research regarding the geographical conditions of the site, like the availability of water supply and other natural factors and choose the strategy that supports the environment in the best possible manner. It is also important to remember that sustainability is not something that can be postponed for the future. Rather, it needs to be taken care of now. let us talk more about the relevant strategies in this regard:
• Passive Strategies: These strategies include the use of maximum natural resources; in fact, the orientation and directions of each building are such that it uses natural resources as and when possible. For example, the builders ensure that the windows of maximum rooms are placed in such a way that it does not require any artificial lighting in the daytime. Also, some climates require such thermal strategies that solar energy can have utmost utilization. Therefore, the use of thick walls is considered as they tend to absorb heat energy throughout the day and liberate it during the night.
• Active Strategies: Builders rely on professional engineers before finalizing electrical as well as mechanical systems. This helps in differentiating the builders with regards to the sustainable and not-so-sustainable options. This helps you choose the right eco-friendly option.
• Renewable Resources: The availability of renewable resources widens the scope of sustainable strategies for public buildings. Solar energy and wind energy are the two of the most common examples of renewable resources, and these should be utilized as much as possible. These resources are also used along with passive strategies.
• Eco-friendly Firms: Another best way to promote sustainability by the builders would be to rely on raw materials on firms that use sustainable methods of production and sell eco-friendly products. This is one of the most important strategies and requires no effort.
• Thoughtful Landscaping Choices: These choices would include choosing green native resources like grasses, trees, and plants. This helps in reducing the irrigation requirements. This can also come under the passive strategies that builders rely on. Landscaping has both direct and indirect positive effects on the environment. The direct effect would be its contribution to a better environment, and indirect effects may include shading effects during hot seasons.
• Air Quality: Sustainability is not only beneficial for the environment but also has major positive impacts on the life of living beings. The air quality of the buildings that have been designed sustainably should also be of great quality so that the people that reside in those buildings can also enjoy the perks of sustainability. This can be achieved using such finishing materials that are less volatile and hence do not pollute the air of the surroundings by releasing chemicals in the air.
• Stormwater Management: Stormwater management can be one of the most challenging aspects of sustainability faced by builders. During rainfall, the major portion of rainwater is not absorbed by the land. It rather seeps into the stormwater and thus can be a reason behind natural hazards in the long run. Hence, to avoid such a situation, builders focus on building designs that promote the rainwater to gradually seep into the soil, like building retention ponds in the locality.
There are plenty of examples and reasons that we have witnessed that makes it very important for us to start taking care of the environment and take precautionary measures to ensure proper maintenance of the environment. Sustainability is one of the basic things that we are relying on to protect the environment.
SAVE TIME WITH OUR WEEKLY DIGEST
& NEVER MISS A POST!
click for more info