From our friends at Charleston Moves…
Mobility Month 2021
An Annual Celebration of Complete Streets
May 1-31, 2021
Throughout May, the community is invited to join Charleston Moves for their Mobility Month program, an annual celebration of complete streets, providing safe street and bridge access for all! The series of events is aimed at bringing the community together to elevate multi-modal accomplishments, provide updates on the organization’s priority projects, and offer calls to action, as well as volunteer opportunities, to advance the local people-powered movement.
Due to COVID, the program will be held both virtually and on-your-own-time. It will be an engaging mix of independent bike rides or walks to celebrate the recent installation of precedent-setting infrastructure, as well as interactive presentations around targeted advocacy efforts with local and national experts.
Visit CharlestonMoves.org/Mobility-Month for the full schedule with details and links to register.
Below is a brief overview of what to expect:
- Fresh Paint Ride: Brigade Street » The City of Charleston’s first protected bike lane (with green paint) has been installed! Throughout May, members of the public who walk, bike or catch the bus along peninsular Brigade Street — and snap photos to send Charleston Moves with a testimonial — will receive a gift.
- Fresh Paint Ride: Isle of Palms Connector » The SC Department of Transportation’s first buffered bike lane (with green paint) has been installed! Throughout May, members of the public who walk, run or bike the Isle of Palms Connector — and snap photos to send Charleston Moves with a testimonial — will receive a gift.
- Mobility Matching Campaign » Double your impact for safe streets! From May 1-31, donations to Charleston Moves will be matched — dollar for dollar, up to $10,000 — thanks to the Bike Law Foundation. Gifts of $75 or more will automatically get entered into a raffle by Blue Sky Endurance for a bicycle tune-up and gift card.
- Charleston Moves Advocacy Update » A virtual, interactive overview of Charleston Moves’ priorities and recent progress, including what’s on the horizon and ways to participate.
- West Ashley History » A virtual presentation by local historians on West Ashley’s original pathways that were designed for all modes. Speakers chronicle key transformations that illustrate how smart and equitable planning can dismantle racist practices and repair community.
- Smart Street Design with Angie Schmitt » A virtual discussion with Angie Schmitt, author of Right of Way: Race, Class and the Silent Crisis of Pedestrian Deaths in America, on how street design impacts public safety, as well as local challenges and opportunities for positive change.
Charleston Moves is a mobility advocacy nonprofit that works to transform our roadways and bridges into safe, connected and equitable spaces for all.
A very special thank you to Mobility Month 2021 program sponsors:
- LeGrand Elebash Real Estate
- Lucey Mortgage Corporation: A local mortgage lender offering you access to the nation’s biggest lenders for purchase and refinance mortgages. We offer better rates and lower cost than most bank and internet lenders. With over 30 years lending and $3 Billion in closed loans, you can trust us to get you the best mortgage. Call us for a better mortgage quote.
- Morrison Yard: A mindfully-designed space in Charleston’s NoMo neighborhood opening in 2022, bringing apartment homes, workspaces, shops, restaurants, and green space to the city’s vibrant local community. Situated along the Cooper River at the base of the Ravenel Bridge, the premier residential destination will be easily accessible for bikers and pedestrians with ample bike storage available and a bike repair shop on site. Morrison Yard is working with city planners to create a pedestrian/bike connection to the bridge and install a traffic light to make commuting easier and safer.
- Raven Cliff Company
- Superior Construction
SAVE TIME WITH OUR WEEKLY DIGEST
& NEVER MISS A POST!
click for more info