Enjoy free CCPL programs in July
Make the most of your summer, and enjoy the wide variety of free classes, exhibits and events throughout July. Check out some of these programs geared toward adults:
- Book On Downtown All CCPL branches, throughout July Explore downtown Charleston during an Olympic athlete-themed Summer Reading scavenger hunt. Pick up a clue card with map and instructions at any CCPL branch, or print it from www.ccpl.org. Turn in the completed clue card to any branch location by July 30 for a chance to win $100 and other great prizes.
- Summer Reading Programs All CCPL branches, throughout July
Summer Reading lasts through July 31, and CCPL offers a variety of fun activities and prizes for all ages. View individual event listings below, or visit www.ccpl.org/SummerReading to register online and learn more about specific programs for children, teens and adults.
- Senior Summer Reading Challenge (adults) All CCPL branches, throughout July
Complete fun challenges for chances to win prizes. Pick up a Senior Summer Reading Challenge sheet at any branch or record your activities online at www.ccpl.org/summeronline. Bring your sheet to the Finale Bingo Party August 3. For every 10 items completed, receive a bingo card and be entered into the grand prize drawings. Can’t make it to the party? Complete at least 10 items, then drop off your sheet at any branch or mail it by August 2 to Sarah Burriss, Charleston County Public Library, 68 Calhoun Street, Charleston, SC 29401. Call 843-805-6840 for information.
- Voter Registration Drives
Monday, July 11 from 2:30-5:30 p.m. – Dorchester Road Regional Library
Monday, July 18 from 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. – Cooper River Memorial Library
Saturday, July 23 from 2:30-4:30 p.m. – Main Library
Saturday July 30 from 2-5 p.m. – John’s Island Regional Library
The Charleston County Board of Elections and Voter Registration provides one-stop voter registration. Drop by to register, and receive a government-issued and approved voter ID on-site. Current voters can update their address and information, sign up for absentee voting and more. To find out if you are eligible and what information you need to register, call 843-744-VOTE.
- Robert Smalls: Gullah Statesman Hurd/St. Andrews Regional Library, Wednesday, July 6 at 1 p.m.
- The Forgotten Pleasure Gardens of Charleston Main Library, Wednesday, July 20 at 6 p.m.
- Colonial Lake: A Brief History Main Library, Thursday, July 28 at 6 p.m.
BUSINESS, TAX AND JOB ASSISTANCE, LEGAL WORKSHOPS … and more
- Small Business Counseling with SCORE John’s Island Regional Library, Wednesday, July 6 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- SCORE CEO Roundtable
Main Library, Wednesday, July 13 from 9-11 a.m.
- Introduction to Seeking Grants Main Library, Thursday, July 21 from 12-1 p.m.
MUSIC, LECTURES AND ART
- Knitting on the Edge Folly Beach Library, Wednesdays, July 6, 13, 20 and 27 at 6 p.m.
- Knit and Purl: A Casual Knitting Group
John’s Island Regional Library, Thursdays, July 7 and 21 from 5-6:30 p.m.
- Upcycling Jewelry John L. Dart Library, Friday, July 8 at 11 a.m.
- Jewelry Making (teens and adults) Poe/Sullivan’s Island Branch Library, Saturday, July 9 at 11:30 a.m.
- DIY Jewelry Cooper River Memorial Library, Saturday, July 9 at 1 p.m.
- Second Saturday Writing Critique Group Mt. Pleasant Regional Library, Saturday, July 9 from 3:30-5:30 p.m.
- Memoir Writing Circle Poe/Sullivan’s Island Library, Mondays, July 11, 18 and 25 at 10:30 a.m.
- Knit and Stitch West Ashley Branch Library, Mondays, July 11, 18 and 25 at 6:30 p.m.
- The Plantation Singers
John L. Dart Library, Thursday, July 21 at 6 p.m.
- Film Movement Thursday: Second Coming Main Library, Thursday, Thursday, July 21 at 6 p.m.
- Lowcountry Creative Writing Forum
Mt. Pleasant Regional Library, Saturday, July 23 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Historical DIY-Gullah Cultural Braided/Beaded Bracelet Making (teens and adults) Otranto Road Regional Library, Saturday, July 23 at 2 p.m.
- Let’s Talk Pollinators Main Library, Thursday, July 28 from 2-4 p.m.
- Collard Greens in Kabul: How Growing an Edible Garden Brought Health, Healing and Community to a War Zone John’s Island Regional Library, Saturday, July 30 at 11 a.m.
To learn more about CCPL’s programs, visit the library’s web site at www.ccpl.org.PLEASE SHARE: